Getting your driver’s license is an important milestone for any teenager. They look forward to the freedom of being able to go on their own. They are excited about increased responsibilities.
For parents...we worry. Are they ready? Will they know what to do? How fast are they driving?
- 16-year-olds are twice as likely to have a car crash than an 18-year-old.
- Crashes typically are high-speed crashes that result in a teen losing control of the vehicle.
(Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, Highway Loss Data Institute, www.iihs.org)
For parents, it is a nerve-wracking time. We know the dangers and temptations that are out there on the road. From driving too fast to distractions like text messaging, we all do our best to arm our teens with smart driving habits.
Roadway Tips for Your Teen Driver
- Always use your seatbelt, even if you’re just going for a short drive down the block—it’s the law!
- Never drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Remember that prescription medications can impact your driving too.
- Avoid driving at night if you don’t have much experience behind the wheel.
- Watch the forecast to avoid any inclement weather.
- Always try to stay at least two seconds behind the vehicle in front of you. This can help give you more reaction time in the event of an emergency.
- Never use your cellphone in your car.
- If you ever feel uncomfortable or unsafe on the road, pull over somewhere safe.
What if there was an app that helped your teen and gave you peace of mind?
Good news! There is! Chubb Insurance has developed a teen driving app that is aimed at encouraging good driving habits.
With the Chubb At The Wheel app, teens and parents can see their safe driving habits. Once logged in on the app, it will record:
- Your teen’s driving route from starting location to ending location.
- Any distracted driving habits, like talking on a headset, cell phone speaker, or handling the phone for text messages or calling.
- Driving data such as acceleration, braking, and speeding.
- The time of day.
At the end of each driving session, you can get a detailed report of all the information recorded. Plus, your teen gets a driving score based on that data. The app will make suggestions for safer driving in the future.
According to Chubb, for teens who have used this app, they have seen 26% safer driving and a drop in accident frequency.
As parents, this app is not about tracking our teen’s every move. It is about teaching them safe driving tips and techniques that will keep them safe on the road. Our teenagers may not always listen to us, but this app gives you the quantifiable information to show them how and where they can improve.
For families with Chubb auto insurance and a teen driver taking to the road this year, the Chubb At The Wheel app gives us peace of mind knowing we can try to prevent accidents.
Plus...Chubb is the first insurer to offer this new service in addition to what you can already expect from your auto policy:
- The safest repairs – We insist on repairing cars with Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) parts and procedures. That's because they're crash-tested and designed to work with your car's specific advanced safety systems.
- Expertise you can depend on – Our elite team of Auto Technical Specialists acts as your safety advocate and makes sure your car is repaired according to manufacturer's specifications, or we'll cover you for a total loss.
- Work with your favorite mechanic – In the event of a claim, we'll cover whichever mechanic or auto shop you choose, or you'll have access to a network of Chubb-approved shops.
If you’d like to learn more about a Chubb Auto Policy or the Chubb At The Wheel driving app or their auto insurance coverage, call us on our Chubb Insured Hotline 713-868-6401.